Volunteering at Sierra Hospice
Many people are interested in the idea of becoming a volunteer with Sierra Hospice and are excited to provide care and compassion to people in our community. There is, of course, an idea that not just anyone can become a hospice volunteer, that the things they will have to deal with are too challenging and are difficult to emotionally cope with. Yet anyone that cares and is willing to become a helper can be a volunteer. Though it is a difficult area to think about volunteering in, the rewards are enormous and the help you give can be felt by families for many, many years to come.
If you are interested in volunteering but do not know what might be expected of a hospice volunteer you can always stop by our office or call (530) 258-3412 to get more information, or email email@example.com and we will be in touch to let you know how you can help. Some of the things our volunteers do are:
- One-on-one Support – this is just talking and listening to families, patients, and friends and helping them cope with their loss, grief, and other problems they might be experiencing as a result of a loved on being on hospice care.
- Respite and Support – Caregivers are often in a position where they are the only ones taking care of a person who cannot be left alone and they need a break, even if it is just to get out of the home for a few hours. Hospice volunteers can sit with the patient while the caregiver gets a chance to run errands, perform self care, or simple get outside and visit with friends and families in a different environment
- Household Chores – cleaning, cooking, and organizing can be critically helpful for people overwhelmed with the hospice situation in their homes. These simple tasks can have a huge impact
- Administrative Support – the Sierra Hospice office is always in need of people who can come in and help with office or administrative tasks to help run our network of volunteers and support staff
- Thrift Store Volunteers – Sierra Hospice is largely supported by the money made at the Forget-Me-Not Thrift store. Helping at the store can be a great help and keep the store open and functioning so that that critical funding source is not cut off.
- Support Group Coordinator – Sierra Hospice would like to begin hosting support groups and workshops similar to those we have hosted in the past. Currently we are seeking individuals with the skills and dedication to help moderate these groups and hep provide additional support to bereaved members of our communities.
- Medical Volunteers – if you have any specialized medical training and would like to volunteer your time and services to our mission we would love to bring you on board to share those skills with our patients and other volunteers
At Sierra Hospice we recruit volunteers all of the time. Please get in touch with us anytime to see how you can help if you would like, or simple stop by and say hello and offer any ideas you may have on new services or to recommend others that may be great Hospice Volunteers.
To volunteer or for more information please contact us at: (530) 258 – 3412 or firstname.lastname@example.org